Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Football and Family

The pictures are from my oldest brother's game a few weeks ago. It has been a lot of fun for myself and our family to watch him play at ACU. The journey that led him there wasn't an easy one, but nonetheless, he'll tell you he is a better man for it. Not too long ago a writer from ESPN wrote an article about Billy Don on his blogsite. In the past few years there have been a number of articles about his journey to ACU. He is now the conference leader in every major passing category (he plays quarterback) and is the only quarterback in the history of the conference to throw for more than 10,000 yards in his career.



My youngest brother, Wesley, holding his little girl in the picture below, has taken a different route with his life. He is currently the drummer for a Texas Country band named, Mile From Nowhere. A few years back they won a recording contract with Shiner Records and went to Nashville for a week to lay down some tracks (I think that is what musicians say). So far, they've had a lot of success. He's also taught himself (and his little girl) how to play the guitar and does some solo gigs. I'm pretty sure he's the only person in our family that has any musical talent.




Anyone would look at what my brothers have done thus far with their lives and call them successful. One is shattering passing records at ACU hoping to land a spot on an NFL roster and the other is receiving royalty checks from songs he's written. Those are really good things, some really incredible achievements. But, someone will break Billy Don's (just 'Billy' if you aren't family) records and he will no longer be playing football. At the same time something may happen and Wesley (just 'Wes' if you're not family) will no longer be in band or receive royalty checks. When this happens people will talk about how good they [my brothers] used to be. However, there will be some little girls who will talk about how great they stilll are. Right now they know that being a great dad is more important than anything else they'll accomplish in life...and it shows. I'm not saying they are perfect dads (who is?), but you will not find two men who love their children more than how much my brothers love their little girls. But, in order to completely understand how they became like that you must meet our mom.




My mom is a special woman. I'm not saying that because she's my mom (Okay, maybe I am a little partial). But, there was never a time growing up when I felt my mom did not love me or my brothers. I'm sure there were times when we got on her 'last nerve' (still trying to figure out what that is) or when she had to discipline us. I know she isn't Superwoman, but she is extremely close. She never missed a game. I can't ever remember her not being at any of our events. I never realized how fortunate we were to have her so involved in our lives. She was always in the bleachers and sometimes she ran out on the field (I have two stories of her running out on the field during peewee football games to 'rescue' me). What a tragedy when parents do not participate in or watch their child's games/events. You know what made her a great mother? Her selflessness. We were always a priority. I think she wore the same clothes for 18 years just so she could afford things for us. My mom did so much more than teach us how to love, she also taught us how to be tough (weird, huh?). For having to take on the role of not only a mother, but also sometimes a dad, I would say she did a good job.

My brother, Billy, summed it up a while back when having a conversation with my grandma. My grandma made a statement about him loving his daughter, Cydnie. He responded with, "I love her how my mom loved us." What an incredible legacy my mom has already established.

2 comments:

The Joiners said...

What a sweet post! Just wanted you to know you still have readers... or one anyway :)

stuchap said...

That is a tight blog. You know your mom's legacy will be played out not only in your brothers lives now but also your life real soon. Congratulations on being pregnant.